Sunday, November 04, 2007

Time to get to work

Since we are going into the holiday bad traffic period for blogging, I think I'll try to spend some time with my mammoth book.

Frau Doktor Stemwedel tells us that November is International acaDemic Writing Month (InaDWriMo). This is the non-fiction counterpart to the much better publicized National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). NaNoWriMo has the goal of actually writing an entire novel in one month. InaDWriMo is a little more forgiving. The goal is simply to make a public commitment and live up to it. So here it is: I'm going to work on my woolly mammoth book. Previously, I had set a goal of a crude draft (that's the stage before a rough draft) by the end of the year. I'm way behind on that goal. So here is my commitment: I'll add 12,000 words to the manuscript this month.

I just put a word meter over on the side to keep track of my progress or add to my public humiliation, whichever might be the situation. In any case, I'm not shutting down the blog. I promise at least one good post each week and a couple of cheap shots, as well as a progress report on the book.

No comments: