Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Michael Reagan wants Howard Dean killed
In the comments on my post on about Rush Limbaugh gloating over a group of Christian pacifists taken hostage in Iraq, commenter keef criticised me for getting my Rush quotes via Media Matters for America. According to keef, "MMFA does this all the time to conservatives--they take snippets of what's said and gin up a bunch of hate." Since I'm not a paying member of Rush's fan club, I don't have access to his approved transcripts. I make do with what I can get and, unless keef can show that MMFA seriously distorted Limbaugh's meaning, I'll stand by my conclusions of his contemptability. However, even keef should approve of my sourcing for this story.

The manly right-wing news site NewsMax reports:
Michael Reagan, son of the late President Ronald Reagan, is blasting Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean for declaring that the U.S. won't be able to win the war in Iraq, saying Dean ought to be "hung for treason."

"Howard Dean should be arrested and hung for treason or put in a hole until the end of the Iraq war!" Reagan told his Radio America audience on Monday.

Admittedly, the quote is out of context and I can't locate a longer transcript, even on MMFA. This single sentence could distort Reagan's meaning. He could have meant "hung for treason" in the nicest way possible. And besides, you know how these right-wing sites like to take snippets of what a conservative says and use it gin up a bunch of hate against themselves.

Yeah, that must be it.

No comments: